Reef Basis Potassium
- Concentrated ionic potassium supplement for all marine fish & reef aquaria
- a high quality, maximum strength ionic potassium solution which is stronger than most competing products and designed to safely raise the potassium level in marine aquariums, providing essential potassium for increased growth rates in stony corals, and increased coloration
- contains no acetate, gluconates, polygluconates or other unnecessary organics to pollute your aquarium
- phosphate and silicate free
- may be used simultaneously with Kalkwasser
Use in aquarium keeping
- Potassium is required for formation of aragonite in scleractinians and required for color pigmentation in many corals, particularly small polyped stonies of blue and purple hues.
- Potassium can be depleted through heavy animal population and may be lacking in economy salt mixes.
- Continuum recommends that you maintain a potassium level of between 380 and 405 mg/L (ppm), a calcium level of between 410 and 450 mg/L (ppm), an alkalinity level of 7 to 11 dKH (2.5 to 4 meq/L), and a magnesium level of 1250 to 1350 mg/L (ppm).
- Note: Aquarists keeping SPS corals should consider keeping alkalinity at 7 to no more than 9 dKH (2.5 to 3.21 meq/L).
- Do not add Reef•Basis Potassium to buffering (alkalinity) products.
- Shake well prior to use.
- Add 1 capful (5 ml) per 50 US-gallons (200 L) of marine aquarium water 3 to 4 times per week.
- For best results, measure the potassium concentration and add as required to maintain the concentration between 380 and 405 mg/L.
- Dosing through use of a drip system is a superior method of addition.
- Do not mix with buffers or alkalinity supplements prior to addition.
- You may mix it with calcium, magnesium, and many other supplements.
- Determine the amount of potassium consumption during the time it takes to add the entire volume of your drip system.
- Determine the amount of Reef•Basis Potassium to add in milliliters by multiplying your tank capacity in gallons by the amount you want to raise it in mg/l (ppm) and by 0.05
- Example: if you have a 50 gallon tank and you want to raise the level by 20 ppm with the entire dose, you would multiply 50 x 20 x 0.05 which equals 50 ml of Reef•Basis Potassium or about 10 capfuls