Breakthrough microbial culture specifically for establishing & maintaining marine systems
- a breakthrough in microbial cultures and is specifically designed for marine aquariums.
- Whereas most competing products, designed primarily for freshwater aquariums, rarely work well in saltwater environments, BacterGen•M will quickly generate effective bacterial populations in seawater.
- BacterGen•M rapidly establishes nitrifying biological filtration in new marine aquariums, greatly reducing the time it takes to cycle the system.
- It is also designed to deliver bacteria to digest leftover food, decaying organic material and detritus in established marine fish and reef aquariums, providing for a cleaner environment for your aquarium inhabitants.
- Whereas competing products may increase the production of toxic hydrogen sulfide in the system, BacterGen•M is non-sulfur fixing and will reduce it to near zero.
- BacterGen•M contains both aerobic and anaerobic microbes which will generate new populations and greatly increase existing bacterial populations to establish and accelerate nitrification and denitrification, lowering ammonia, and nitrites, as well as lowering phosphates, nitrates and organic pollutants significantly.
Use in aquarium keeping
- Aquarium systems accumulate waste from uneaten food and other organic material.
- Over time, this accumulation lowers water quality, releases toxic gases into the water, and creates sludge on the bottom.
- The addition of a high quality microbe culture, such as BacterGen•M will cause a rapid increase in the population of beneficial microorganisms with a resulting increase in water clarity and a drop in unbeneficial nutrients, particularly ammonia and nitrogen compounds as well as phosphates.
- Continuum recommends that you consider using Reef Micro•Fuel, along with the BacterGen•M, as an organic carbon source to accelerate the growth and maintenance of both aerobic and anaerobic bacterial populations in your aquarium.
- Place 1 cup (250 ml) of marine aquarium water into a container.
- Shake product well.
- Add the recommended amount (see below) of capfuls or ml of BacterGen•M to the container of aquarium water.
- Stir and allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Add to aquarium in desired location.
- It is usually best to add to biological filtration material, if this is possible or in a low flow area that will lead directly to the biological filter, but do not add directly to a pump intake.
- In reef aquaria, add around the porous liverock, also.
- In new setups, soak new biological filtration material in BacterGen•M for an hour, and then add what is left of the soak to the system.
- To establish new aquariums: 1 capful (5 ml) of BacterGen•M for every 25 US gallons (100 L) of aquarium volume, daily for 2 weeks or longer, if necessary.
- Medium to heavily loaded aquariums to reduce sludge and waste: 1 capful (5 ml) of BacterGen•M for every 25 US gallons (100 L) of aquarium volume daily as necessary.
- Low nutrient aquariums: 1 capful (5 ml) of BacterGen•M for every 50 US gallons (200 L) of aquarium volume once or twice a week.