High purity calcium in a dry form for all marine fish and reef aquaria
- Reef•Basis Calcium is a high purity calcium in dry form, designed to safely raise the calcium level in marine aquariums, providing essential calcium for increased growth rates in corals, coraline algae, crustaceans and many other marine organisms
- contains no acetate, EDTA, gluconates, polygluconates or other unnecessary organics to pollute your aquarium
- phosphate and silicate free
- May be used simultaneously with Kalkwasser
Use in aquarium keeping
- Proper control of calcium level is imperative for the health and growth of corals and many other invertebrates.
- If the calcium concentration is too low, growth rates will suffer.
- If it is too high, alkalinity or buffering capacity will be diminished, leading to possible instability of pH.
- Sufficient magnesium levels are also necessary to maintain the proper balance.
- It is therefore recommended that the hobbyist measure and control the levels of calcium, magnesium and alkalinity on a regular basis.
- Strontium is also required for formation of aragonite.
- Continuum recommends that you maintain a calcium level of between 410 and 450 mg/L (ppm), an alkalinity level of 7 to 11 dKH (2.5 to 4 meq/L), and a magnesium level of 1250 to 1350 mg/L (ppm).
- Note: Aquarists keeping SPS corals should consider keeping alkalinity at 7 to no more than 9 dKH (2.5 to 3.21 meq/L).
- Do not add calcium and buffering (alkalinity) products at the same time as it will cause unnecessary precipitation and possible cloudiness.
- Dissolve 2 grams, about 1 teaspoon of product in 8 oz. ( 236 ml ) purified water.
- Add in an area of high flow directly to tank for each 20 gallons ( 76 L ) capacity, per day until the desired calcium level is reached.
- For best results, measure the calcium concentration and add as necessary to maintain between 410 and 450 mg/L (ppm).
- CAUTION: PRODUCT GETS VERY HOT WHEN MIXED WITH WATER, USE RUBBER GLOVES, AND ALWAYS MIX OUTSIDE THE TANK. ABSORBS MOISTURE, KEEP TIGHTLY CLOSED!
- To dose, determine the amount of calcium consumption during the time it takes add the entire volume of your drip system.
- Determine the amount of Reef•Basis Calcium to add to your drip system in grams by multiplying your tank capacity in gallons by the amount you want to raise it in mg/l (ppm) and by 0.011.
- Example: if you have a 20 gallon tank and you want to raise the level by 25 mg/l (ppm) with the entire dose, you would multiply 20 x .011 x 25 which equals 5.5 grams or about 2-1/2 teaspoons of Reef•Basis Calcium.